Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 29 March 2017

Module 3 Skype

Wednesday 29th March

Participants:

Paula Nottingham
Lauren Hoskins
Laura Hopkinson


We began the session by reassessing the 5 stages of inquiry and discussing where we are at in the process. All 3 of us have completed our research activities (stage 3) and are moving onto analysis (stage 4); however I am still trying to approach the more academic style literature from emerging themes within my inquiry. Since writing my module 1 critical reflection, I have definitely learned quality overrides quantity, but do feel a bit low on the ground in regards to how many academic styles of literature I have. This doesn't concern me as yet because my sources up to now have been studied in detail. I do also feel that there is time but am only giving myself 1 more week to continue focus on stage 2. I have sourced literature on teamwork in the performing arts, social practice in theatre and the teaching of collaborative skills through dance. I have found it difficult to source academia on relationships and communication specifically between people in musical theatre.

ARTEFACT

Think about your audience! Mine is primarily my current company; as well as other musical theatre companies and my BAPP community. It should be presented in a way that they understand. Think about their: experience, interests, multiple intelligences. What is the aim? I hope to share the understanding, appreciation and knowledge that I have gained. I hope to present my findings positively and interestingly, as well as boost morale amongst our company. I hope it will be a good reminder of what I've found to be the core of theatre - LOVE, ENJOYMENT & OUR AUDIENCES. *remember to consider ethics in relation to permissions and copyright*

CRITICAL REVIEW

We were reminded of the triangle from our module 3 handbook and how it must include perspectives from all the 3 areas. It was also good to acknowledge how this academic style of presentation is a useful activity for us to do. As performers, we spend the majority of our time doing. This will be beneficial for life outside of the theatre and give us an all round learning experience.

           Literature    
                🔼
      Data         Experience 


ORAL PRESENTATION

This can include elements of the critical review and artefact. It provides a good opportunity to present and summarise the main findings, sources, theories and practitioners in relation to our inquiry topic. *mental note: i must talk with my tutor about the logistics of this with my new work schedule*



TIPS!

  • SAVE, SAVE, SAVE
  • Read the handbook
  • Keep in touch with tutor
  • DRAFTS
  • Continue blogs & Sigs


*I discovered during the session that the portfolio i.e. Critical review, artefact and oral presentation, are marked as whole. They don't possess an individual percentage of the overall mark. This is to benefit us as students which I really like!



Megan: "everyone gets it, it's just the execution of it"
Paula: "as creatives, if we get anxious we find it hard to think."

I think the above quotes from today's session are nice little reminders that we all feel the stresses and strains of our studies and that we definitely are not alone.



REFLECTION 

As I am approaching the end of my studies, my professional practice is taking an interesting directional change which I plan to discuss as part of my critical reflection for this module. Watch this space!





No comments:

Post a Comment