Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Thursday 16 March 2017

Campus session & SIG's

16th March 2017

"How we use theory in what we're doing" - session led by a Adesola Akinleye

I must admit, I was so excited to go on to campus! It's the first session I've been able to make because of touring and it felt so strange. Actually seeing the university and meeting my tutors and peers in the flesh was quite a surreal experience.



This session on THEORY was great for me personally. In module 2 i was using a lot of experience and examples in relation to practice, so some of my feedback was to try and source the more academic style  literature and theoretical explanations from practitioners.

We reminded ourselves of module 1 theories: CONNECTIVISM, REFLECTION, NETWORKING

Adesola helped us to understand that the inquiry is about absorbing the theories and then using them in order to make decisions and steer what you're doing. It isn't a case of trying to justify what you're doing because of the theories - your actions and choices are a bi-product.

Linking this idea with my own practice in a Musical theatre production definitely helped my understanding. I asked myself - what is the theory of 'Dirty Dancing'? I came to the conclusion that it is effectively the context. The reason we do certain moves or dance in a certain style is because of the story and the decade it was set in. The theory or context behind the show directs the creativity.


You can see on the image of 'rhizome' above that the theories and ideas, as well as the different stages  in the inquiry and the degree itself, should be connecting. It opposes the linear structure of education today - prior to degree and professional level. I was glad to be reminded of the aforementioned module 1 theories because I can now see how they could be linked to theories cropping up in my module 3 inquiry - social networking theory and organisational theory. Networking across  departments, reflection from hierarchical positions in addition to self reflection, connectivism in relation to social media  and team work/communication in the work place. 

We touched on ETHICS and how they can highlight exceptions to theories. The use of analysis and journal king helps to explain any differences or alternative choices and why. 

"Ethics is an ACTION not a THING" (Akinleye, A. 2016) They raise questions and thoughts, they are not a set of rules. I pointed out that it is perhaps why we often have a code of conduct in the workplace- so that any individual differences in ethics/morals are managed. 

To summarise theories:

Look at it.....reflect on it....:develop our own thoughts on it.....whilst remaining open to interpretation and raising questions!


Victoria and I went for coffee afterwards to catch up and talk through how we were getting on, what our concerns were. It was so nice to have a face to face conversation with a fellow BAPP SIG. 
one of our topics of conversation was the artefact and oral presentations. Victoria actually watched the previous module 3's and you can check out her blog on how she found it here!




No comments:

Post a Comment