Professional dancer and passionate teacher from South Yorkshire!

Wednesday 14 September 2016

Live the dream.

September 14th: Swansea Marina


"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."


So it's a Wednesday morning and I've woken up bright and early at 7am - even though I didn't get to bed until around 1am. I imagine my subconscious is a little anxious as today, we have a cover run and the producers will be watching. After contemplating another attempt at sleep, I soon gave up on the idea and got up to make breakfast in my hotel room. Had a rather bad experience upon arrival in Swansea at my intended digs. Several small things like my door not closing, musky towels, temperamental wifi and cold temperature in my room all added up and caused me to have a little melt down. If I hadn't been as tired or the fridge hadn't frozen my entire food shop, I may have reacted differently, but instead I booked myself a hotel and phoned a cab straight away. After touring for the past couple of years I now care considerably less about money and much more about comfort when away from home. My colleagues were so sweet when I arrived at work offering spare beds and if I'd of been thinking more rationally, I would've text, but in the moment I booked an entire week in the local Premiere Inn straight off the cuff - never mind eh!

Anyway, back to the point. I had my breakfast, did a couple of hours work in prep for the cover run, had a bath and it was still only 10am. The sun was shining so I had to get out and make the most of it - especially seen as we had terrible thunder storms the day before and I was due to be in work from midday. I decided to go on a walk around the marina and along the front. It was so peaceful and isn't there something so relaxing about being near the water? I came across this piece of art work on the path and it made me stop for a moment and appreciate life.



Living in the moment is something I really struggle to do - as well as relaxing. As performers we are always looking for the next job, always expanding our horizons, adding new goals, creating new dreams, thinking how we can do better next time - maybe wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere. Unfortunately, I am now aware I do this a lot with normal life tasks too. We spend our entire lives doing this, even when we are working. Today I get to play my dream role in front of influential people. I have also already played this dream role to over a thousand people, including my boyfriend, in Ostend. I'm actually living the dream! Can you believe it?



Whilst writing this post, I am sat outside a fabulous bistro called 'Swigg' appreciating the small things in life like the sun shining, like being able to take my jacket off, like the awesome coffee I'm drinking - my apprehension about the cover run turning into excitement and being grateful for the quiz night and drinks we have planned post show this evening. It is so important to LIVE people and not get caught up in our dreams all the time. Always have them and always strive for them - but appreciate what's happening now and what's going on around you before these precious, little moments disappear.




No comments:

Post a Comment